I am just so excited about this new project! I'd like to jump up and down and squeal "Yippee!", but things jiggle and it doesn't feel good. Just pretend I am leaping about shouting my glee in your mind's eye. Without any jiggling.
Halloween 1904 by Blackbird Designs is the pattern. I bought a kit when I was at Buggy Barn in Reardan, WA this August, which, even though quite pricey, ended up being just a starting point for making this quilt. I don't buy a lot of kits, because I often think I have better ideas when it comes to fabric selection. This kit however, was chock full of beautiful Halloweeny oranges and blacks that would have taken me years to acquire. Sometimes you just have to get the kit and view it as a stepping off point for making your own version.
I did end up using all the oranges and blacks that were provided in the kit, but added more of my own. The backgrounds didn't suit me at all, so I swapped out most of those. The pattern suggests using whites with small black prints for your backgrounds, but those are not that easy to find. The folks at Buggy Barn who made the quilt kit, added in a lot of unusual figured background prints that didn't seem to relate to the intent of the quilt as I saw it. I'd love to see a photo of a quilt made entirely of the fabrics Buggy Barn put in the kit, just to see how it worked out in the end.
I wasn't taking any chances with my quilt, so I did my own thing. I chose cream background prints, yellowish tan prints, and tea dyed looking prints for my background blocks. I quite like the results.
My friend Thelma is also planning to make this quilt. One of the very kind owners of Buggy Barn told us that we could use their "Crazy" piecing method to piece the stars intead of appliquing them as the pattern instructs. I was initially very intrigued to do that, and Thelma got on it like white on rice.
Thelma, being the kind friend that she is, sent me all sorts of photos and detailed instructions on how to piece these little stars with the background fabrics. My breath started to get short, my vision blurred, and I knew that the piecing thing wasn't going to work for me. I need more machine applique practice anyway.
I got to work and cut out all my little background squares and interfaced all my star shapes. I am now ready to get down to business and start appliqueing something like 52 little stars onto background squares. I have made my first block and I think I am loving it! Stay tuned.