This is my alternate version of the Frivols #5 kit. The primary pattern in the kit didn't float my boat so much, but luckily each Frivols box contains a card with an alternate design suggestion. To all of you who haven't even taken the plastic off your Frivols tins: You need to check out what's inside!
I didn't use more than a third of the fabrics in the kit, so I could make another little quilt like this one or maybe a smaller version of the primary quilt in the kit. I used some French General fabric I had on hand for the background print, and also used a red French General piece from my stash for the border. I tried using the navy and red print that came in the kit for the border, but I was just not that wild about bringing out more navy in the quilt. The red made me happier.
The quilt measures about 21 1/4 inches square. The finished block size was 4 1/2 inches. The thing about working with such small pieces (especially when making flying geese units) is that it becomes harder to keep things from going wonky on you. The slightest error in a seam allowance seems to be magnified much more than when you are making 8 or 10 inch square blocks.
After making the first block (bottom center in the photo), I started pressing all my seams open. That really helped a lot to keep each block flatter and more square. I am swallowing any pride and showing you the backside of the quilt top. I try to clip my threads carefully, but the back of the quilt always looks a bit like a birds nest. Anyway, if you can stand to press your seams open, it does help.
Have a great weekend everyone! I look forward to sharing my next project with you on Monday.