The pattern has three versions, all very cute. I made the smallest one, which measures 16.5" by 19.5". I seem to really be into these small projects lately. I love to use them with seasonal fabric offerings. I can just get a couple of charm packs and get my fabric fix taken care of, and have a cute little topper to use. The fabric collection I used was a charm pack of Sweetwater's Boo Crew.
The reason I "had" to make it was to get the bad taste out of my mouth from a complete and utter failure of a project. I needed to succeed at something in the worst way. Here's what happened.
I had gotten this Kim Diehl Simple Whatnots club offering recently. I have been feeling guilty that I haven't kept up with this club, so I figured I could make up a small project and kill a couple of birds with one stone. I'd get my small project to use in the Fall and at the same time keep up with the Club. This is how the project ended up:
And I will tell you why. I usually make my block units a bit larger than called for and them trim them down to the proper size. I get much more accurate piecing results when I follow that rule. Kim's patterns do not call for doing that. This pattern called for 1 1/2 inch half square triangles made from 1 7/8" squares. I should have cut 2 inch squares and trimmed them down, but no, I blindly followed the pattern instructions and ended up with wonky, inaccurate results. I was so frustrated I tossed the whole mess into the trash. It totally serves me right for being too much in a hurry. I thought I could be super careful and save myself the extra step of trimming. Mistake.
So, I needed to make something right away and have it turn out perfect. Carrie Nelson's patterns (Miss Rosie) always give glorious results because she has you make your block units a tiny bit oversized and them trim them down. "Tidbit" was a breeze to make, and went together like a dream. Every seam lined up, every point was sharp, and every half square triangle was a perfect 2 inches.
You can see that I have stalled out a bit with Viola, but hope to get back to it this week. Eva is helping me by pinning leftover scraps of Halloween fabric to the Viola squares.
In this photo you can see my little Tidbit has a cream colored outer border.