As part of my Year of Finishing Projects, I have just completed my Tumbler quilt. I had previously thought this quilt was a finish, but after some reflection, decided it needed a couple of borders.
I used some solid black for a narrow containment border, and cut up the fabric I had intended to use for the backing to be an outer border. These additions did more than make the quilt look more "finished", they added on some dimension to the total size of the quilt, making it much more usable. Now the quilt measures 56 x 67. A nice lap sized quilt, or one for the foot of the bed. For a younger person with a modern color scheme, this could be dynamite tossed over the back of a sofa or chair in a living room.
This will be given to a relative at Christmas time. Not sure which loved one. If any relatives are reading my blog, feel free to chime in with suggestions as to who this should go to.
I am sure you all have noticed my lack of blogging lately. There are a number of reasons for that. Back in December, my husband became out of work and has been home 24/7. It has been great on a lot of levels to have him around the house, mainly that he is happier than he had been in ages. However, I just didn't seem to ever get anything done during the day while he was around. It wasn't that he demanded my attention, it just seemed like I couldn't disappear up into the sewing room for hours at a time. I also work part time in a local shop and take care of Eva 18 or more hours a week. Consequently, my time for uninterrupted sewing has been impacted severely. And of course, since this is a quilting blog, I haven't had a heck of a lot to share.
So, he starts a new job in a week or so. We shall see if I use my new time alone for sewing! I am not promising to blog daily, but will try for at least three times a week.
This has definitely been a year dedicated to finishing quilt tops. I have just received three back from being quilted and will share those photos with you in a later blog.