I am still fiddling around with fabrics for the Viola project. I want those flowers to be really colorful and happy, and wasn't embracing my red/yellow/orange palette so much. I remembered that I had purchased these fat quarters of a collection called Mimosa by Robert Kaufman from Fat Quarter Shop some months back, and when I took them out of the drawer where they were stored, I decided that maybe I should go with them. I still have my red, yellow and orange, but there is also that great lime green and the pretty turquoise. That is more the look I want to go with.
Eight different black prints will do for the flower pots, and I'll use a medium grey for all the stems and flower bases. Aren't those colors gorgeous?
I am still not ready to do any cutting. I had to order a brighter white background fabric than my usual Kona Snow, which was too creamy. I also needed more of the grey for the stems.
Also, and this is so hard for me right now, is that I am going to have to do some figuring before I start cutting. I am still having some difficulty focusing, but need to do some math prior to diving in. You see, the pattern shows all the flowers in one color way, and I am using four. I have to calculate how many half square triangles and other units to make for each flower. The piecing for this pattern is pretty tricky and I don't want to mess up. Luckily I have all fat quarters and the pattern calls for fat eighths, so I have some fabric to sacrifice. Let's hope it doesn't come to that!