It was a perfect weekend. I got in lots of sewing time, and completed the two Kim Diehl projects that were the focus of the two classes I took with her during my recent trip.
The first project was the easiest as far as machine applique is concerned. Only those easy little leaf shapes which came out pretty well. I was over zealous with the application of both glue stick and quilters basting glue, and had a difficult time removing the freezer paper, which was a nail biting experience. I was so afraid I was going to accidently rip something crucial and ruin the whole project. That didn't happen, fortunately.
The little half square triangles finish at 1 inch, isn't that crazy? Plus, they were made by just cutting out triangle shapes and sewing them together, instead of my preferred method of cutting out squares, drawing a diagonal line, sewing it, then trimming the half square triangles down to size. I did it Kim's way this time, and had no issues there either.
So far so good! This little table topper is called Idaho Lily, and will be a great addition to my holiday decor come Christmas.
The second project, Hopscotch, was more ambitious as far as the applique went. I have to make a confession. I am finding I don't really enjoy the process of turning the edges of applique pieces over before appliquing them on. The whole freezer paper thing--cutting out the paper, afixing it to the fabric, cutting out the tiny pieces, then trying to get those edges pressed under crisply with no puckers and without burning my finger tips right off--sigh, I wasn't loving the process. And Lordy, all that glue to hold the pieces down. Glue everywhere.
The whole entire point of this method is that with an invisible machine applique stitch, it really truly does look like hand applique. It is such a production though. I'd almost rather just do needle turn hand applique.
But machine applique is so much faster, and fun too. If you do it with fusible web and raw edge. I know this defeats the purpose of the amazing appearance one gets using the turned under edge and machine applique stitch, but I just couldn't hack it. I was not having fun. So I got out the fusible web, ironed those little pieces on the background and used Kim's invisible machine applique stitch. It definitely does not have the finesse of Kim's finished projects, but Done is better than pulling my hair out and putting the thing away in a drawer.
Please don't tell her.