I was out in the gargage rummaging around, looking for a nice large bin for all my new happy fabrics, when this project practically fell on my head. Years ago, two houses and a lifetime ago, I began this applique project with some Fig Tree fabrics my friend Lisa sent me. I was so shocked to find that the four applique blocks were already completed, and all the units for the other blocks in the top had been cut out.
Intrigued, I took the project box up to my sewing room, and had a closer look.
Oh. I really am not that fond of this method for making flying geese units, but a commitment had been made, so I had to go with it. (I prefer to make my units larger and trim them down with Monique Dillard's Fit to be Geese ruler).
You can see by the photo, if you cut on the drawn line, and flip up the corner square, you will have two flying geese units. Actually, this method provides you with four matching flying geese. I used to love making them this way until I discovered the joys of accuracy using Monique's ruler.
I got to work, and in no time, I had a good number of the blocks finished. The photo below shows what I had accomplished by the end of the day Friday.
I spent all day Saturday sewing. Didn't leave the house, stayed in my house slippers all day long. And by 5:00 PM Saturday this is what I had finished!
There is a pieced border, which hopefully I can get together this week.
I have to add----I had forgotten how much I dislike working with triangles. All those bias edges. Ugh. This pattern calls for surrounding each star block with borders of pieced triangles, and the outer border is all pieced triangles. Really annoying. Piecing blocks with bias edge triangles makes me feel like a complete amateur. I hate that. Lots of fudging, tugging and pinning to make things line up. That being said, the quilt is pretty cute, and as Grandma Higgins would have said, "A man going by in a bus would never notice any imperfections".